Language is weird. Humankind is so dependent on each other
that it only makes snese that we'd need to speak with one another, and yet we
find ourselves completely stumped when we come across an individual from
another land who speaks to us in a gibberish that you can't even wrap your mind
around. You feel alienated, a sense of discomfort that can only come as a
product of one not understanding another. After all, how can one possibly call
gargling and breathing heavily letters in the alphabet of a language (looking
at you, Arabic)? Immediately you see this person as an outsider, but little do
you know that the feeling is mutual. Who's to say they aren't confused about
this "heavy b" that you use (the letter "p") doesn't exist
in Arabic. Language is just too diverse for everyone to understand each other
and it is because of this that we create our own understandings of those who
don't speak our language. This creates a disparity that will remain present as
long as different languages are spoken.
It may be hard to believe, but the previous portion of this
post is entirely written, and edited, on my phone. What typos I had were
corrected and when I used "textese", like "u" in place of
"you" for instance, it was corrected back to "you".
Technology has advanced to the point of practically writing for the writer,
which is something to be feared. Sure, the convenience is something to make
mention of, but when you start to think in "textese" it becomes a
problem. We've all experienced some sort of text-talk some time in our lives,
whether it be you or someone you know text-talking. This is as simple as saying
"LOL", which I'm sure you've heard once or twice this week. When you
see autocorrects in texts, you often ignore them. For instance, I know that my
friend who was texting me didn't mean to say Onondaga. Now, I had no idea what
the intended message was, but I do know that that wasn't it. So I made sure to
clarify with my friend, and lo and behold, she really meant "on
Monday". People have adjusted very well to the autocorrect/suggest
generation. We can easily tell when someone clearly didn't mean what was sent
to you. However, this is strange. If autocorrect is just something that we most
often end up ignoring, then why is it even there? Well there are those times
when you actually need it, but that isn't quite often if you're looking at your
phone as you text. Autocorrect seems more like a nuisance then an aide, which
is why I try my best to write well in texts. I personally try my best to avoid
using text talk, and go out of my way to write with some level of
sophistication in texts (which made writing this feel unnatural and weird), but
I know for a fact that there are people out there that have adopted text-talk as normal talk. Unfortunately, as
technology continues to improve its convenience, human language will continue
to develop an English-text-talk hybrid.
No comments:
Post a Comment